About Me

My photo
Cromer, Norfolk, United Kingdom




I'm a former hospital radio/club/mobile DJ, avid record collector and amateur musician (playing guitar, keyboards, recorder, harmonica and percussion.) I've even filled in on bass guitar for a couple of local bands as well (although that was quite a few years ago). Also interested in Motorsports, Wrestling/Mixed Martial Arts and Classic Television and Radio from the 1960s - 1980s.

Why am I on here? Well, I'm just trying to make some sense of life before it's too late...but who cares anyway?

Saturday, 4 May 2013

Update 04/05/2013

Well, there's been very little of note going on (apart from the usual round of job hunting, visits to local job centre etc) but I'm keeping an eye on a local charity who were looking for admin support volunteers.  I've already met some of the staff involved  (as well as a few of the people they're helping) and they seem like a nice bunch so all I'm doing for the moment is keeping my fingers crossed in case there's any further news.

That looks promising but I can't say the same about the Work Programme, where their big ideas seem to be going belly-up on a regular basis.  The latest one is/was (delete where applicable) what I can only refer to as a "Virtual Job Club".  This would have involved clients linked together via Skype, with an advisor on hand if needed.  Thanks to some "data protection issues"  that scheme has been called off.  (What's the betting someone was bitching to DWP about it and they ended up calling "Foul"?).  And if that wasn't frustrating enough, I've been told that I'm to get yet another advisor.  I wouldn't had minded, but it's the timing of it - I've got 10 weeks to go before my time on the Work Programme ends, so that doesn't leave much time for us to get to know each other and get an action plan together.  I've lost count of the number of advisors I've had in the last 2 years, so it's all the more frustrating when all you end up doing is getting bounced around from one member of staff to another and not getting any serious help with the job searching.

I'll just be glad to get out of there when it's all over....