About Me

My photo
Cromer, Norfolk, United Kingdom




I'm a former hospital radio/club/mobile DJ, avid record collector and amateur musician (playing guitar, keyboards, recorder, harmonica and percussion.) I've even filled in on bass guitar for a couple of local bands as well (although that was quite a few years ago). Also interested in Motorsports, Wrestling/Mixed Martial Arts and Classic Television and Radio from the 1960s - 1980s.

Why am I on here? Well, I'm just trying to make some sense of life before it's too late...but who cares anyway?

Tuesday, 27 July 2010

Three Days In Five Paragraphs...

I've had the run of the house to myself today, so I'm typing this while the pets settle down to their afternoon snooze. There's been no contact from anyone connected with Merchants Place since I declared my intention to drop out of the admin course, so I hope I won't hear any more about it. In any case, I've got a visit to A4e next Tuesday, where the plan is to set up a "work boost". This is basically where I do a four-week stint with an employer, unpaid, but the idea is to get some work experience (which I haven't had for several years) and an up-to-date reference. Mind you, they had better get a move on, as I've only got 14 weeks left on Flexible New Deal. After that, I'm not sure what's going to happen, although I've heard "Work For Your Benefit" being mentioned as a possible next step. Guess I'll discover more nearer the time.

As for the last few days' motorsports action, the Poles dominated in the Speedway World Cup meeting which was delayed due to the weather. They go on to Saturday's final with Denmark and Russia getting the first two places for Thursday night's race-off.

Over in NASCAR, Juan Pablo Montoya's Brickyard 400 jinx continued when a bad pit stop call resulted in him losing several positions. Untill then, he had been dominant throughout the race, and was a dead cert to win before crashing into the wall on lap 146. Jamie McMurray was the eventual winner, giving his car owner Chip Ganassi an unprecedented "classic" treble - with Ganassi-owned cars winning the Indy 500, the Daytona 500 and the Brickyard 400 all in the same year - quite some feat if you think about it....

Helio Castroneves ran into some trouble as well at the Indy car Series' latest race in Edmonton after getting penalised for blocking Will Power late on in the race, thus effectively gifting the win to Scott Dixon, and a NASCAR/Indy Car double for Ganassi.

Mind you, that was mild compared to the Ferrari "team orders" fiasco at Hockenheim. The last I heard, the team were fined $100,000 by the race stewards, and the matter referred to the FIA's World Motor Sport Council for further discussion. However, I wouldn't expect a decision on whether there'll be any further punishment until after the Hungarian Grand Prix at the earliest.